Missouri Prevention Center team members engage in a variety of professional pursuits by attending and presenting at a number of conferences throughout the year and by publishing books, book chapters and journal articles. Highlights are shown below and a comprehensive list from prior years can be viewed in each of our past Annual Reports.
Stress Management for Teachers: A presentation by Keith Herman, September 2016
Missouri Council of Administrators of Special Education (MO-CASE) Conference, September 2016 – Motivational Interviewing in Schools: Strategies for Engaging Parents, Students, and Teachers
– A presentation by Keith Herman
National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) Annual Convention, February 2015 – Designing, Implementing, and Understanding School-Based Randomized Trials
– A presentation by Wendy Reinke, Keith Herman and Mark Weist
Association for Positive Behavior Support (APBS) Conference, March 2014 – Coaching to Improve Classroom Management
– A presentation by Lori Newcomer, Wendy Reinke, Keith Herman and Melissa Stormont
Society for Research on Educational Effectiveness (SREE) Conference, March 2014 – The Incredible Year Teacher Classroom Management Program – Intial Findings from a Group Randomized Control Trial
– A presentation by Wendy M. Reinke, Keith C. Herman and Nianbo Dong
Books Authored by MPC Affiliates
Keperling, J., Reinke, W.M., Marchese, D., & Ialongo, N. (2017). Group interventions in schools: A guide for practitioners. Guilford Press.
Herman, K.C., & Reinke, W.M. (2015). Stress management for teachers: A proactive guide. New York: Guilford Press.
Stormont, M., Reinke, W. M., Herman, K. C., & Lembke, E. (2012). Academic and Behavior Supports for At-Risk Students: Tier 2 Interventions. Guilford Press: New York.
Reinke, W. M., Herman, K. C., & Sprick, R. (2011). Motivational Interviewing for Effective Classroom Management: The Classroom Check-up. Guildford Press: New York.
Selected Journal Articles (since July 2013)
- Stormont, M., Thompson, A.M., Herman, K.C., & Reinke, W.M. (2016) The Social and Emotional Dimensions of a Single Item Overall School Readiness Screener and its Relation to Academic Outcomes. Assessment for Effective Intervention.
- Reinke, W.M., Herman, K.C., & Newcomer, L. (2016). The Brief Student–Teacher Classroom Interaction Observation: Using Dynamic Indicators of Behaviors in the Classroom to Predict Outcomes and Inform Practice. Assessment for Effective Intervention.
- Jenkins, L. N., Floress, M. T., & Reinke, W.M. (2015). Rates and types of teacher praise: A review and future directions. Psychology in the Schools.
- Lee, J., Frey, A., Reinke, W.M., & Herman, K.C. (2015). Motivational interviewing as a framework to guide school-based coaching and consultation. Advances in School Mental Health Promotion.
- Stormont, M., Herman, K.E., & Reinke, W.M. (2015). The overlooked children: How teachers can support children with internalizing behavior. Beyond Behavior.
- Stormont, M., Herman, K.E., Reinke, W.M., King, K., & Owens, S. (2015). The Kindergarten Academic and Behavior Readiness Screener: The utility of single item teacher ratings of kindergarten readiness. School Psychology Quarterly.
- Stormont, M., & Reinke, W.M. (2014). Providing performance feedback for teachers to increase treatment fidelity. Intervention in School and Clinic.
- Stormont, M., Reinke, W.M., Newcomer, L., Darney, D., & Lewis, C. (2015). Coaching teachers’ use of social behavior interventions to improve children’s outcomes: A review of the literature. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions.
- Thompson, A. M., Reinke, W. M., & Herman, K. C. (2015). The value, practice, and evaluation of teaching social emotional learning to students with and without disabilities. In C. R. Massat, M. S. Kelly, and R. Constable (Eds.), School Social Work: Practice, Policy, and Research (8th). New York: Oxford.
- Maras, M., Thompson, A. M., Thornburg, K. R., Hawks, J. S., Lewis, C. (2015). The transprofessional integration of behavior, academic, and social emotional learning. Journal of Educational & Psychological Counseling.
- Thompson, A. M. The Self-Management Training And Regulation Strategy (STARS): A selective social work intervention to address disruptive classroom behaviors (2015). In P. A. Meares (Ed.), Social Work Desk Reference, (2nd ed). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Wang, Z., Rohrer, D., Chuang, C., Fujiki, M., Reinke, W.M., & Herman, K.C. (2015). Five methods to score TOCA-C and to examine group differences. Journal of Experimental Education.
- Harrison, S.E., Riley-Tillman, T.C., & Chafouleas, S.M. (2014). Direct behavior ratings: Considerations for rater accuracy. Canadian Journal of School Psychology.
- Kilgus, S.P., Riley-Tillman, T.C., Chafouleas, S.M., Christ, T.J., & Welsh, M. E. (2014). Examining Direct Behavior Rating Single item Scale diagnostic accuracy and concurrent validity in elementary and middle school settings: Replication across sites. Journal of School Psychology.
- Reinke, W.M., Stormont, M., Herman, K.C., Wang, Z., Newcomer, L., & King, K. (2014). Use of coaching and behavior support planning for students with disruptive behavior within a universal classroom management program. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders.
- Reinke, W.M., Stormont, M., Herman, K.C., & Newcomer, L. (2014). Using coaching to support teacher implementation of classroom-based interventions. Journal of Behavioral Education.
- Thompson, A. M. (2014). Randomized trial of the Self-management Training and Regulation Strategy (STARS) disruptive students. Research on Social Work Practice, 24, 414-427.
- Farmer, T., Reinke, W.M., & Brooks, D. (2014). Managing classrooms and challenging behavior: Theoretical considerations and critical issues. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, 22, 67-73.
- Stormont, M., & Reinke, W.M. (2014). Providing performance feedback for teachers to increase treatment fidelity. Intervention in School and Clinic, 49. 219-224.
- Borden, L., Herman, K.C., Stormont, M., Darney, D., Goel, N., Reinke, W.M., & Webster-Stratton, C. (2014). Latent profile analysis of observed parenting behaviors in a clinic sample. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 42, 731-742.
- Maynard, B. R., Kjellstrand, E. & Thompson, A. M. (2014). A randomized trial of the effects of Check n’ Connect on dropout and academic performance. Research on Social Work Practice.
- Wang, Z., Bergin, C., & Bergin, D. (2014). Measuring engagement in 4th to 12th grade classrooms: The Classroom Engagement Inventory. School Psychology Quarterly. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1037/spq0000050
- Kilgus, S.P., Chafouleas, S.M., & Riley-Tillman, T.C. (2013). Development and initial validation of the Social and Academic Behavior Risk Screener for elementary grades. School Psychology Quarterly. 28, 210-226.
- Chafouleas, S.M., Kilgus, S.P., Jaffery, R., Riley-Tillman, T.C., Welsh, M., & Christ, T.J. (2013). Direct Behavior Rating as a school-based behavior screener for elementary and middle grades. Journal of School Psychology, 51, 367-385. doi:10.1016/j.jsp.2013.04.002
- Chafoulas, S.M., Jaffery, R., Riley-Tillman, T.C., Christ. T.J., & Sen, R. (2013). The Impact of Target, Wording, and Duration on rating Accuracy for Direct Behavior Rating. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 39, 39-53
- Thompson, A. M., Ruhr, L. R., Maynard, B. R., Pelts, M., & Bowen, N. K. (2013) Self-management interventions for reducing challenging behaviors among school-age students: A systematic review. Campbell Collaboration, Review Protocol. Available online, November 6, 2013, http://campbellcollaboration.org/lib/project/264/
- Wang, Z., & Osterlind, S.J. (2013). Classical test theory. In T.Teo (Ed.), Handbook of quantitative methods for educational research (pp. 31-44). Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Sense Publishers.